Calligraphy by Sam
Sam is a graphic designer learning calligraphy and these are his scribblings. He says: ” I’ve never had a class I started out drawing blackletter capitals and trying to make up my own and have just been trying out new stuff since then.” Therefore we love his work. Autodidactical lessons are the best lessons, because no teacher can give you a direction you simply have to find it yourself. If you like to do calligraphy start it like Sam - Just do it!
This humble blog began some months ago, until this date we have posted 9 wonderful books about lettering, typography and calligraphy. In case you forget the gift for your graphic designer geeky friend here is a recap of all the books featured here, a perfect gift for the typophile or the amateur designer avid of know more about this beautiful discipline (click on the name of every one to see more details):
- The Geometry of Type by Stephen Coles.
- Thinking With Type by Ellen Lupton.
- New Ornamental Type: Decorative Lettering in the Digital Age.
- Little Book Of Lettering by Emily Gregory.
- Helvetica and the New York City Subways System: The True (Maybe) Story.
- Type Matters! by Jim Williams.
- Hand to Type: Scripts, Hand-Lettering and Calligraphy by R. Klanten.
- Calligraffiti: The Graphic Art of Neils Shoe Meulman
- Scripts: Elegant Lettering from Design’s Golden Age
In case you want a light review of this books you can visit typographybooks.tumblr.com and see more details.
Have a Merry Christmas guys!